Wednesday, August 27, 2008

One down! 200,000 to go!

Since my wife has already blogged about our great adventure into the great unknown, I decided to blog about a problem I finally solved with my monopoly game. (Note, I only solved one of my many many problems I will have to solve.)

I was assigned to write a monopoly program and use a SQL database in the solution. Well, the important thing of this assignment was to not have a working game, but to write all of the documentation and to have a good amount of work be put into the game. Well one of the problems I ran into was deleting players from the game at the conclusion of a game. I would have to go in and manually delete them after each game. This was not a viable option if I ever wanted to produce this game. But after many many MANY hours I finnaly figured it out.

Now, just some background information, I have an SQL database called PlayerData where I store all the player's data in the game. The primary key in the database is TurnNum. Each player is assigned a TurnNum of their turn in the game. This may cause a problem in the game later. If player 1 goes bankrupt, then he should leave the game. I'll have to decide later on what I'll do then, either delete player 1 and reassign the player numbers or automatically skip players who have gone bankrupt. But anyways, I finally figured out how to delete the players from the PlayerData database. SqlDataSource1 connects to the PlayerData database.

SqlDataSource1.DeleteCommand = "DELETE FROM [PlayerData] WHERE [TurnNum]='1'";
SqlDataSource1.Delete();

So, what it does is change the SQL delete command from "DELETE FROM [PlayerData] WHERE [TurnNum]=@TurnNum" and assigns it to delete player one in the game.

This whole thing was rather frustrating to figure out, but that is the headache of computer programming. I thought I could just use the SqlDataSource1.Dispose() function, but the failed to do anything.

Oh, and just to close this blog, I would like to make sure you all know that I am NOT a nerd!

1 comment:

anne said...

Mike:
1) You are totally a nerd.
2) That's ok :)
3) We don't mind.
4) You should drag yourself out of denial.

:D