Saturday, December 26, 2009

Feast of St. Stephan's Day

Tomorrow is the feast of St. Stephan in the Eastern Rite (It was today in the west.) and it reminds me of a tradition that I plan on having my kids keep. I heard of this tradition from The Clancy Brothers and I thought it was a wonderful idea. They told about how on the feast of St Stephan's Day the Irish children would go out and kill a little bird called a Wren. They would then go door to door and collect money. It seems like a much better idea to have kids going and collecting money from neighbors than from me. Well, here is a Wren Song sung by the Clancy Brothers. I say "A Wren Song" because from what I've read it looks like Irish boys would have their own Wren Song and so there are many versions out there. Also, only the first minute of this is the Wren Song. I'm not sure what the other half is.

No comments: